Predictably, 2021 is producing many many studies, announcements, initiatives and reports – all as the UK hosts the G7 and COP26.
Many focus on the power of banks and pension funds to invest for ESG, reduce emissions, and meet the Paris Agreement.
Most urge someone else / governments to legislate or act.
Others declare their own path to Net Zero but often without any detail or real intention – “Greenwash”.
In April the Treasury warned against “Greenwash” and self publicity designed to hide any real action by companies, banks and pension funds and in June 2021 they announced the Green Treasury Advisory Group
Some of those reports and announcements…….
In June 2021 the Climate Change Committee warned that “The UK has the capacity and the resources to respond effectively to these risks, but it has not yet done so. Acting now will be cheaper than waiting to deal with the consequences. Government must lead that action.”
- Schroders Institutional Investor Study 2021
- Enabling Smart Local Energy Systems: Finance and Investment (June 2021)
- UN Environment Programme – UNEP Finance for Nature
- World Economic Forum – WEF Investments to Curb Climate Change
- HSBC Landmark Climate Policy
- Greenpeace – Global Emissions by UK Finance (May 2021)
- SBTi Ambitious Corporate Climate Action
- CBI – A Decarbonised Economy
- Wall St Journal – Net Zero, more like Not Zero (March 2021)
- Investors Chronicle, Oil majors splashy net zero plans (May 2021)
- 10 Big Problems with BP Net Zero by 2050 claims
- LGIM joins shareholder rebellion over Shell’s climate plan (May 2021)
- Court orders Royal Dutch Shell to cut emissions by 2030 (May 2021)
- ExxonMobil and Chevron shareholder rebellions over Climate (May 2021)
- UK Secures Historic G7 Commitments for 2030 Targets (May 2021)
- RenewableUK – Targets for UK Energy Commitments & COP26 (May 2021)
- International Energy Agency – Road Map for Net Zero by 2050 (May 2021)
- Reclaim Finance – Putting Finance at the Service of the Climate (May 2021)
- Fossil Banks – How they Finance Climate Chaos
- UK companies must commit to Green Pensions (April 2021)
- Make My Money Matter – Pensions for a Better World
- Climate Summit – UN Financial Alliance for Net Zero (April 2021)
- Three French banks will not now finance EACOP (April 2021)
- Public Accounts Committee – Environmental Tax Measures (April 2021)
- New Zealand “world-first” legislation on Fund Climate Reports (April 2021)
- Prince William: Banks and Finance in fighting Climate Change (April 2021)
- TPR – New Climate Change Strategy and requirements (April 2021)
- Banking on Fossil Fuels – even 5 years after the Paris Agreement (April 2021)
- USA “Recovery Plan” – Investing in Infrastructure after recession (April 2021)
- CPF invests £63m in Fossil Fuels, despite its “carbon footprint”
- UK LGPS Funds still invest £10 billion in Fossil Fuels (Feb 2021)
- bank.green – Is your money being used to fund climate chaos?
- UK100 Putting Local Government at the Heart of Net Zero (March 2021)
- ESG and Ethical Investing – The Times
- Pensions Expert -LGPS £10bn and Fossil Fuels (Feb 2021)
- Royal London and Responsible Investing (March 2021)
- The Times – Funds are failing to rethink their portfolios
- Bank Track questions lack of detail on Bank promises for Net Zero
- Centre for Policy Studies – a Northern Big Bang (February 2021)
- ShareAction – campaign on Responsible Investment
- ShareAction / APPG – The Change We Need
- Climate Change Committee – Net Zero Finance (December 2020)
- Cheshire Pension Fund ?
- CPF still invests £63 million in Fossil Fuels, despite its “carbon footprint”
- IPE publicity on the CPF Carbon Footprint
ALL OF OUR MEMBERS FORUM PRESS RELEASES